RECENT BLOG POST
04 Aug 2021
10 Aug 2021
10 Aug 2021
By Dr. Aastha Chandra
25 Oct 2021
SMILE DESIGNING: PORCELAIN VENEERS
Veneers are a great way to improve your smile, especially if your teeth are chipped, malformed, or discoloured. Veneers are thin shells that fit over the front of teeth to improve their appearance, protect them from damage, and create a beautiful smile. Most patients opt for veneers to improve their appearance, but they also have restorative functions and protect the tooth’s surface from damage. They are a great option for patients who have tooth gaps, chips, or stains.
TYPES OF VENEERS :- Veneers are made of either Porcelain or Composite Resin Material.
- Porcelain Veneers: – A porcelain veneer is a thin shell that is custom-made to fit on the tooth.
A) Benefits of Porcelain Veneers :-
- Extremely strong and long-lasting.
- Natural looking surface for nautrally looking teeth.
- Less tooth enamel needs to be removed than with a crown or cap.
- Do not stain easily.
- Warranty of 20 years*.
B) Steps To Place Porcelain Veneers : –
- To prepare the teeth, a small amount of enamel is removed from the front and sides of the teeth. This makes room for the veneers so that your teeth look natural.
- After this, a very accurate impression is taken using rubber base materials to make a mould of the prepared teeth. The appropriate shade is also selected.
- The impression is sent to a dental lab that custom-makes the porcelain veneers to fit your teeth. This takes as less as two days and temporary veneers are given for this interim period.
- A trial is done to check the shape, shade and fit of the veneers and any necessary changes are communicated with the lab before finally polishing them.
- The final polished veneers are now bonded onto the tooth surface using special cements.
- Further changes may be made at a later appointment.
- Composite Resin Material (CRM) Veneers :- A composite resin veneer is made from a tooth-coloured filling material bonded to the tooth.
- Benefits of Composite Resin Veneers :-
- Generally, less tooth enamel is removed as compared to crowns or porcelain veneers.
- Require fewer visits. Can be done in single sittings.
- More economical.
- Steps To Place Composite Resin Veneers :-
- After the teeth are prepared or reshaped, a composite material of the desired shade is bonded to the tooth surface.
- A special light is used to harden the composite and bond it to your teeth.
- The veneers are then smoothened and polished to look like natural teeth.
Summary: Porcelain vs Composite Resin Veneers
|Porcelain Veneers||Composite Resin Veneers|
|– More expensive||– Economical|
|– Generally requires Enamel removal||– May not require Enamel removal|
|– 2 to 3 appointments||– Generally 1 appointment|
|– Last around 20 years||– Last around 5 years|
|– Will not stain||– May stain over time|
|– Less likely to chip or fracture||– More likely to chip or break|
Why Should You Opt For Veneers?
- To change the length, colour, and size of teeth.
- Teeth that are discoloured because of stains from medication use or due to large fillings or have white spots due to excessive fluoride use. They are also used to treat teeth which are intrinsically stained and cannot be whitened.
- To fix chipped, cracked, or broken teeth.
- To fix worn down teeth.
- Teeth that are malaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped.
- Teeth with gaps between them.
Aside from the legitimately surprising results, veneers will change the appearance of your smile while still leaving you with realistic and natural-looking teeth.